Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Mourning Time

I am mourning my summer morning routine.

I like my morning time. It keeps me stable and kind to others.

Awhile ago, I heard the definition of introverts and extroverts: if you're an extrovert, you get your energy from people. If you're an introvert, you get your energy by being alone.

I am definitely on the introvert spectrum.

Now that's not to say I don't like people; I definitely do. But I need my morning time to stay balanced and confident and happy.

It's my favorite time of the day.

Now Roy? He definitely does not operate like me. Roy's mode of living is to get up, eat breakfast, and WORK. When his feet hit the ground every morning, that's his sign to make the most of daylight hours. And so, by the time he arrives in the living room for the first day, his arms are filled with a filled trashcan (filled from the other trashcans in the house), and stray glasses that he spied meandering around the house (usually in Jace's room). 

It is polar opposite of me. I prefer a cup of steaming coffee, my iPad, a few inspiring videos, my journal, and a personal growth book of some sort. Mm.

It makes me happy just thinking about it.

But lately my family has been disrupting my peaceful routine. First of all, let's talk about Roy.

Getting Roy out the door is an Act of Congress. Armed with his NotePad, notebooks, a pen, his iPhone, a lunchbox packed to the gills, three drink cups (no, I'm not kidding), his wallet, and probably a couple of things I'm missing, it takes more than one trip to get this  boy settled in his pickup for the morning drive. It might be amusing to have a video of us working side by side for about fifteen minute before he exits the house. 

Then again...I haven't showered at this point and sometimes I'm edgy so....maybe not.

And then there's Jace. Since joining athletics, Jace has to be at school a little before 7:00 am. That, folks, means a whole litany of duties:

Unfortunately, I have always believed that my kids should have a hot breakfast before they start their school day. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF MY KIDS HAS CAPITALIZED ON THIS! By the time they hit high school? I. AM. OVER. IT.

Clearly they are not. It's expected. They are entitled.

#IHateEntitlement

But cook breakfast I do: scrambled eggs, some form of bacon, a piece of fruit, and two pieces of buttered toast. 

Every morning.

And then I gather all of the foods for Jace's packed lunch (prepared the night before). 

Thankfully Jace is a hair-bit more responsible this year than last so his backpack is ready to go without rehearsing all of the things that need to be in there. I'm grateful for that.

(Gotta give thanks for the little things around here, people.)

But by the time we're in the car and racing down the road towards Keene ISD, I'm sighing.

One of those "oh my word I can't believe it's only 6:45 and my day has hardly started and here I am in the car and I only had 30 minutes to myself this morning..." sighs.

It's not pretty. And it's definitely not pretty for others.

The good thing is, I typically keep my thoughts to myself, so people don't see all the snarling and eye rolling going on behind the pasted smile. 

The bad thing is, I'm not so generous with my family. They get to see the real me.

June and July? I miss you. 

I bet my family does too.




1 comment:

  1. I miss Roy driving up to school with his giant Sonic cup at 8:00 am! I like your ideal morning routine! And I don't get to do it "right" either.....:(

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...