Friday, March 17, 2017

Chatt Adventures Part 1

I flew to Chattanooga on Monday afternoon for an alumni event the following Tuesday evening. It was a fast trip as I flew back early Wednesday morning, but it was a beautiful thing to spend some time with Darianna. She had just gotten back that morning in from a whirlwind trip from Europe where she toured Norway, Scotland and England, so we had much to talk about. We spent many hours hanging in the motel or in her apartment perusing photos on her computer.

It was fabulous.

But I have two crazy stories that I want to share. I probably shouldn't. They definitely aren't my best stories...but they are...well, they are just so me.

On Tuesday afternoon, I had lunch with a dear friend and then rushed to Walmart for some chocolate for my event. While there, I decided to pick up a few groceries for Darian as a surprise. And so, I wandered the aisles, found some things that would go together and create a few different meals, and checked out. By the time I left Walmart, it was hazy out and very cold. I popped the trunk and began to empty the bags of groceries into the car when Roy called. And so, with the phone clutched to my ear with my shoulder and the thoughts running through my head that I needed to hurry so that I could catch Darian (who was heading back to the motel from class), I quickly slammed the trunk shut, gave the cart a hefty shove so that it would roll back into the cart cage, and jumped into the car -- talking to Roy the entire time.

Walmart is just across the street from the motel; however, one has to go through two stoplights to get there. And so, I made my way back and pulled into a parking spot just as Darian pulled in beside me with DJ, her boy. I was excited to see DJ as I haven't seen him for several months, and so, with the intention of getting out to hug him, I reached for my purse to slip my phone inside....

WHERE. IS. MY. PURSE!!!!

I frantically looked in the backseat...not there.

And then I froze.

I left it in the cart.

I rolled down the window, my head spinning, and shouted, "Get in the car! I left my purse at Walmart!"

And so, DJ and Darian ran like two crazies out of the little red pickup and dashed in the car while I threw it into gear and sped off.

My head was spinning, like it was going to burst at any given moment.

Oh my word.

My wallet. My credit cards. My driver's license. How am I going to get home tomorrow??!! I need my ID to fly!

"Maybe it's still there," Darian said encouragingly.

Walmart. Like seriously. Have you SEEN the people at Walmart?? There is an internet site devoted to posting pictures of the people who shop at Walmart.

And then we arrived in the parking lot. I knew exactly where I'd left the cart and so I drove that direction, my eyes zoomed in on the carts, hoping to see a glimpse of blue and white stripes.

Nothing.

We got closer.

Still nothing.

My heart sank. I was stuck in Chattanooga forever.

Darian and DJ leaped out of the car, Darian throwing out the words, "It's not over yet, Mom. Maybe someone turned it in."

Right.

This is Walmart.

While they went inside, I scoured the parking lot. Maybe I didn't remember correctly where I'd left the cart. The parking lot is quite large...

But...no success. And then I saw them -- Darian and DJ -- walking out of Walmart with my purse held high over their heads, giving the thumbs up sign.

Ah...sweet success.

I get to go home after all.

Turns out one of their employees who is in a wheel chair spied my purse in the cart and rolled out to save the day. "That thing is heavy," he told the kids when he handed it over. "I don't know what she has in there."

You know...just my wallet, a few odds and ends, the kitchen sink...

Thank you, Mr. Walmart Man.

You are my hero.

(Stay tuned for the second story...it's even -- well, more of me...coming right up.)

1 comment:

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...