Friday, December 16, 2016

A Perfect Day

Yesterday? My birthday?

It was a perfect day.

I don't think it could have been any more perfect actually.

For starters, the people I work with in the Advancement Office took me out to at to a restaurant in Cleburne called Pastafina's. It's similar to an Olive Garden and it was delicious. We all laughed and talked and stuffed ourselves silly and just had a lovely time.

And then we came back to the office.

Around 2:00, Dean (our development director) came in and said, Could you come into the Work Room for a minute?

And there they all were...again...with a beautiful birthday cake. Vanilla. My favorite. And ice cream that proclaimed itself "homemade" on the label.

And though nothing says homemade like my dad's homemade ice cream, it was delicious.

Meanwhile, Roy sent me a text telling me to steer clear of supper. I asked him what that meant other than don't eat and he said, If I told you, I'd have to kill you. Admittedly I was a wee bit concerned as my stomach was already feeling the bulge just from lunch, not to mention the cake.

When I got home from work, Jace came out of his room and handed me a homemade card that he had carefully created. Now can I just say, Jace doesn't carefully create anything? His writing is typically sloppy, slanted, and brief. But this card was filled with legible, heartfelt sentiments. Roy told me later that Jace called and asked if we had any special paper.

This card? I will treasure it forever.

Throughout the day, Savana called five different times to sing "Happy Birthday" to me at the top of her lungs and then followed that raucous version with a top ten list so that, by the end of the day, she'd proclaimed 50 things she loves or appreciates about me.

Now let me just say, I love words. I could just float away on a bubble singing opera-style when you tell me how wonderful I am.

Ridiculous, I know...but kind words turn me into a giggling schoolgirl.

And of course Darian called and texted and posted on my wall...she's a thoughtful one.

When Roy got home from work, he walked into the door, his arms laden with gifts. This boy knows that I love Mexican food, and so he got me kitchen aids for creating a Mexican dinner: a tortilla maker, a tortilla warmer, colorful little bowls, etc.

It was perfect.

That boy...

And then we loaded up in the car and headed towards Cleburne, parked at our go-to Mexican restaurant, and went inside to a room filled with my amazing family and beautiful friends. Tami and Chas brought black balloons and dice that will help me make decisions about how to spend my time: nap, gripe, complain, etc...

I shall use those every day.

Gina and Eric gave me a lovely throw that is so fuzzy and warm, and Tami and Lloyd gave me a rosemary tree that is so fragrant and adorable.

The kids were there--Court and Cass and Ciara and Love and Josh and Jess -- and laughter was there and love was there and gosh it was fun and amazing and perfect.

Absolutely perfect.

When we got home? My precious friend--the YMP one--sent me a message with 50 reasons she loves me.

50 reasons! But I noticed that she repeated a couple, so I told her...and she sent 2 more.

How amazing is that.

That's a friend right there.

And another one of my precious friends wrote happy birthday on my wall and I replied with...where is my email?...because we are email buddies. She emails me regularly and I eat up every word like I'm starving (and clearly I'm not), and so, because she is such a kind, beautiful soul, she sent me a long, newsy email and I loved every word.

And you know...I love words so...between the email and the 50 reasons message?

 # a perfect way to end a perfect day.

So, today?

Today I feel so loved and so grateful and so like turning 50 wasn't such a bad thing after all.

Today I feel like 50 just may rock my world.






2 comments:

  1. Well since you rock our world, your 50th should definitely rock!! Glad it was a good day!!!

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...