Monday, June 23, 2014

Breathing

Yesterday I modernized my bookshelves that are housed in the living room. I did a search on Pinterest and found several that I copied so that I must admit: It looks a lot better. Same books. Same stuff. But I like it.

Anyway, in the midst of all of my re-organizing, I came across a book entitled A Dummy's Guide to Keeping Life Simple. It made me chuckle a bit. I can't even tell you how many years that book has been there, practically under my nose, yet I completely forgot about it. And so I picked it up, browsed through the pages quickly, and put it back--saving it for a day when I have a bit more time for such things.

On the same shelf were two small notebooks with cute, decorative covers. Inside each I had started a list: a bucket list and a list of best memories. Great idea, Vonda. Too bad you didn't get beyond the first page.

But honestly, just seeing those notebooks and the Keeping it Simple book inspired me. They inspired me to dream big, to declutter, to live healthfully and simply, to not spend, to cherish, to take long walks and breathe. They inspired me to live my life with purpose and free from regrets.

This past weekend, we drove to Myrtle Beach to spend Saturday evening with friends who were headed there from Wisconsin. We arrived early in the afternoon and since they weren't going to be there 'til later that evening, we had several hours to spend together. Roy isn't exactly a beach person as he grew up on the beach and worked hard, long hours on boats both in and out of the ocean. And so seeing this wide expanse of water and running his toes through cool, smooth sand doesn't exactly breathe heaven to him. But a storm had just passed through and so the temperatures had cooled a bit. I grabbed his hand and said, "Come on. Walk the beach with me." And he did. And gosh it was fun--just the two of us walking hand in hand and watching young families build sand castles with their kids and toss their squealing babies in waves (holding them dearly the whole time).

On Sunday we picked up Jace from camp as he has been gone all week (I missed him so much). He was swimming in the pool with a bunch of other kids and I thought, How am I ever going to find him in that herd? But suddenly I heard, MOM!!!!!  And there he was, clinging to the fence with such a big, cheesy grin on his face. Mom! I missed you! 

As soon as they let him out of the pool area, he clung to me in a bear hug. This boy who normally won't touch me when his friends are around lost all inhibitions and just clung to me.

Breathe that in for a minute...

And then, completely out of the blue, he said, Mom, I really miss Darian.

I do too, Buddy.

Yesterday, after we got home, I did simple things around the house. I decluttered an upstairs closet. I no longer have to worry about what will drop on my feet when I open that door. That's a good thing. And I watered my flowers, picking a random weed as I went along. I encouraged a couple of plants to keep on keepin' on as they are floundering a bit and I'm not sure why. Too much sun? Poor things.

Life is filled with so much good to cherish. Sometimes I am filled with frustration about things that annoy me: a messy kitchen or drivers who hug the left lane or people that say things to me that are hurtful, leaving me nursing my wounds for far too long. But the truth is, I have a choice. I can focus on those frustrating things that absolutely exist. Or, I can focus on the simple that exists as well.

Today? I'm choosing simple. Today? I'm going to just breathe.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my word. I can't get over the part about Jace. The fact he ran over to you, and the fact he said he missed me. He is the sweetest little boy. I bought him a shirt from Wilson's for his birthday! I'm gonna send it tomorrow, so it will be late, but it's super cute! Gray and red. Looks like him. Anyways, I miss you both tremendously. Along with Dad and Savana of course. Can't wait for more weekends at home this coming year. I also like your idea about just breathing :) I need to work on that, too.

    ReplyDelete

Diamonds Everywhere

I read a study recently that said that greatest single indicator of a long life well-lived is deep social connections. Of course, there are...